With his wife’s Army Nurse information




Authorized by Wilbur E. Ford

Produced by Robert W. Ford

and typed by Erika Crawford





While researching the participation of my Ford family in the American Civil War, I discovered a number of family members who fought for both North and South.  I published eight of the stories in my book, “Dr. John Perley Ford (1794-1869), His Life and Times, Ancestors, Descendants and Allied Families 1635-1994.”  Gateway Press, Inc., of Baltimore, Maryland, published the book in 1994.  Subsequently, I have put their Civil War stories on the Internet. You may buy term papers online that follow the main themes in case you need these stories to be a part of your future project.


After the book was printed, I discovered the descendents of Irvin Ford.  I had lost track of him.  In 1893, Irving S. and Mary (Dibble) Ford participated in the Oklahoma “Cherokee Land Rush” and claimed land near what is now Carrier, Oklahoma.  Irving was a Union Civil War soldier, who served in the 18th Indiana Infantry Regiment.  His story is also on my web site.


In 1894, the Union Civil War veteran, Robert I. Boyington, and his wife, the former Mary McFarland, moved from Kansas to Carrier, Oklahoma.   In 1905 their daughter, Kate Scott Boyington, married Albert E. Ford, the son of Irving Ford.  Albert and Kate’s son named Wilbur E. Ford.


Wilbur gave me a copy of the Boyington Civil War diary.  It had been in a desk drawer since the 1920s, when it was typed from the handwritten version.  It had only rarely been removed or read.   Wilbur Ford, after checking with other Boyington and Ford family members, gave me a copy.  He also authorized my putting it on the Internet at my Civil War web site referred to above.  He also agreed that I could donate a copy to the U.S. Army Military History Institute at Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and the Gettysburg National Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.


Lt. Boyington had served in the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment, and was severely wounded at Gettysburg.  His Regiment was known as “The Wildcats.”  His wife nursed him back to health at Gettysburg.  Ms. Kate M. Scott, a former Civil War nurse, had written the History of the Regiment in 1877, entitled, “History of the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers.  A complete History of the Organization, Marches, Battles, Tolls and Dangers participated in by the Regiment, From the Beginning to the Close of the War, 1861-1865.”  The New-World Published Company, No. 811 Arch Street, published the history in Philadelphia in 1877.


Robert and Mary K. Boyington named his youngest daughter Kate after Ms. Scott.  Kate Scott was also instrumental in getting Mary K. Boyington to join the Association of Army Nurses of the Civil War 1861-1865.  Mary was elected a national officer as shown on her stationary below.


I am grateful to Miss Erika Crawford for typing verbatim and proofreading an electronic version of this journal.


Robert W. Ford

October 2001




The following letter was sent to Kate M. Scott, who had written “HISTORY of the ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTH REGIMENT of Pennsylvania Volunteers” in 1877, by Mary K. (McFarland) Boyington, wife of Robert I. Boyington.

Carrier September 4th 1907

Miss Kate M. Scott 

I notice in a late circular headed with the title or heading of General Orders No. 2 1907, that it is necessary that every volunteer nurse should write to you stating when and where and how long she served, by whom enlisted, name under which she served, present name, age and address:

As to when I began I can only tell you I began the wk following the battle of Gettysburg, while the boys were still on the battlefield, near round top.  I believe I reached their field hospital on wed PM. After my husband was wounded on Friday.

I staid with the hospital as long as they were in the open or field Hospital until late November quite awhile after we had deep snows & cold weather.  My husband being among the very last to be moved from camp letterman Hospital on account of the Seriousness of his wound.  We were then moved to the York hospital, where we remained until about the first of March 1864.

After this I took him to our home in Ringgold Jefferson Co. Penna. Were he lay most of the summer.  A Surgeon who had been in the hospital with us whose name I am not now able to recall (name Dr. Townsend) whose home was in Philadelphia PA corresponded with us regular and to him I gave daily accounts of the condition of the wound.  And by my following out his directions I succeeded in healing up and seeing him able to walk.

I have some of the passes which was given me when in the hospital to allow me to go in & out of hospital and when I left little York.  The Surgeon in charge gave me a volunteer nurses pass to my home. 

Now if this is not Sufficient evidence you can ask James Hawthorn & if Capt McHenry is still living. (of Co of Indiana Pa).  Also his cousin George McHenry of Co K who had a leg off just below the knee.  They 105 boys.  Also a man by the name of Joe Johnson of Co J.  John & Aron Douglas of Co. J.

 This is as nearly as I can remember an account of my hospital life.

 (This John – N. Johnson was a cook & nurse with us in our first Hospital experience.  A good fellow.) written Sept 6th 1907.